Direct or Natural Method
We adopt direct or natural method in our teaching learning process.
The focus is on good conversational skills, with spontaneous use of the language, no translation, and little grammar analysis.
The idea comes from how a baby acquires his first language. it’s Listen and see, imitate, and use it. That simple!
Some characteristics of this method are:
- Lessons are in the target language and avoid translation; little written work and reading activities; lots of oral interaction, spontaneous use of the language, no translation, and little if any analysis of grammar rules.
- There is a focus on situational vocabulary and expressions; real life situations are created.
- Visual aids are used to teach vocabulary and expressions
- The method aims at active command of a language
- This method is convenient in small class; guarantee sufficient practice for everyone.
To support the above mentioned characteristics:
- Students should be involved in oral activities; pair work, group work, role play, presentation.
- Audio and audio visual are used for the students for “real” situations of relevant topics
- Massive continuous exposure is needed; students must use the language learned in real conversation (practice)
- Relevant and interesting topics
- Massive continuous exposure to interesting and relevant language contents
- Reinforce what has been learned by repetitive use of The language, i.e. English, in real everyday life.